Completed in 1814, the mansion was built on land gifted to Captain Nathaniel Lord by his father-in-law (Nathaniel had married Captain Walker’s daughter Phoebe). Just four months after its completion, Captain Lord passed away. His grandson, Charles P. Clark, took over the property, using it as his summer home. He made extensive additions and renovations to the mansion during the end of the 1800s. In an effort to create an unobstructed view of the Kennebunk River, he had three homes removed from the land directly in front of the mansion. This created the river green, which still is in use today. The mansion was a part of the Lord family for 158 years and five generations before it was sold in 1972, thus beginning its journey as a beloved Maine hotel.